Too many business owners focus on accumulating sheer numbers, when they should really be spending their efforts improving follower loyalty.
WHY LOYALTY IS SO IMPORTANT
- Quality over quantity. It’s far better to have 100 strongly loyal followers than it is to have 10,000 followers who don’t particularly care about your brand. Loyal followers will be more willing to engage with your posts, share your content, recommend your product or services and ultimately make purchases from you.
- The threat of competition. Brand loyalty is a rare commodity these days. Consumers have hundreds of options in nearly every conceivable field, and they can summon information on competitors in a flash. If your followers don’t feel compelled to keep up with your brand, they could easily switch to one of your competitors.
- If you influence enough loyalty from certain followers, they could turn into brand evangelists, willing to promote your brand just because they’ve had such great experiences. That amounts to free, virtually limitless new exposure.
A few general rules that apply to your actions throughout each of the strategies:
- Sincerity. Customize your responses to each respective follower, and mean what you say.
- Make sure all of your interactions have a ring of personality to them, beyond your basic brand voice.
INFLUENCE FOLLOWER LOYALTY WITH THESE FIVE INTERACTIONS
If your followers ask questions, providing them with concise, detailed answers is sure to win their respect. You’ll instantly give them the new information they need, showing yourself to be informative and reliable.
It takes about 10 seconds to respond to a follower’s comment, sometimes with a simple “thank you.” It may not seem like much to you, but to a follower who genuinely enjoys your work, it means everything.
Your followers are likely producing content of their own, including content related to your industry and even to your brand. At least a few times a week, use social listening to discover these posts, and when you find something worth sharing with your followers, share it.
Starting or continuing a conversation is a powerful way to engage with a follower because you’ll fully explore a topic, rather than having a business-like call and response.
Even the best companies sometimes have to deal with customer complaints on social media. When they come in, do your best to resolve them quickly, directly and in the friendliest way you can. Fixing a problem is a good way to restore someone’s vulnerable loyalty, and will look good to other followers as well.